Thursday, October 13, 2011

Comments to Dave Geer Regarding Lowering of Building Fees

This is a coment from Dave Thomas to Dave Geer regarding the Raising of building fees and a quote attributed to Mr. Geer in the McClatchy Yellow Pages locally known as the Bee.

Dave, I hope you take my comments as a friend of many years.

My free advice is that you divorce yourself from the bureaucrats in the city government. Modesto is so totally mismanaged that it is a laughing stock. When you vote with the city manager, you invite the comment from our recently deceased friend, John Michael Flint, “The city council is just a display of sock puppets.”

Note, that is not my comment, but a discrete and credible assessment from a highly respected published journalist, John Michael Flint.

Let me give you some free advice. The following is a direct quote attributed to you from today’s Modesto BEE’s story regarding reduced fees for city CFF’s.

“I am a fiscal conservative and believe taxes are too high, and that includes fees. I am comfortable with a six-month suspension (of developer fees). If it doesn’t show an increase in business activity, then it would make sense to go back to the normal fees.”

Dave, that is the reasoning of an idiot, so I reject the possibility that you said that. After all, one who truly believes that reducing fees and taxes stimulates the economy, would never suggest that raising those fees and taxes would work better. So, I am confident that the attribution is incorrect. Would you confirm that for me?

You campaigned on the concept of representing your District. Reducing fees to developers will only delay needed construction and up-grading of infrastructure in your District. I am sure that you do not want to give developers in the north and east part of Modesto a gift of lower fees. To do so would betray your constituents.

Please tell me that you do not support favoring developers over the needs of the residents of your District.

Thank you so much, Dave